Wear a mask! This you already know–but do you know how often you should be washing your mask or even how to safely wash it to prevent getting “maskne” or mask-acne? Sometimes tossing your used masks in the washer may be counterproductive for your skin as certain detergents may irritate it. However, we have the perfect solution to address this new skin issue some of us may be “face”-ing!
What you need:
1 medium-sized bowl
1 ½ c water
5 to 10 drops melaleuca oil
5 to 10 drops lemon essential oil
1 tbsp liquid castile soap (our favorite is Dr. Bronner's Pure-Castile Liquid Soap)
- Place all contents in the bowl and mix.
- Soak your mask in the liquid mixture for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the mask from the liquid mixture and lightly scrub it, then hang to dry.
“Maskne” prevention tips:
- Have at least three to four masks on hand that you can use and rotate through.
- Save your cotton masks for longer wear periods like an eight-hour work shift.
- Use masks with thinner material (i.e. Lycra) for shorter wear periods like a quick trip to the grocery store.
- Skip the makeup from the nose down–just apply eyeliner, eyebrow pencil, mascara, etc., and of course, don’t forget your Ao Organics sunscreen!
If you are already suffering from acne, try some of our products that will treat it!
- ‘Ōlena + Honey Foaming Cleanser
- Hibiscus Mist Facial Toner
- Ili Hydration Moisturizer
Be sure to wash your mask every three to four days (of course, the more often you wash it, the cleaner it will be!). For more information, click here for a clip from KHON2 featuring our friends at Revival Beauty Bar!