Aloha everyone, welcome to Ao Organics Hawaii’s new website–we’re so excited to have recently launched our refreshed site, including the addition of our blog, #AOGlow Beauty Bulletin. In our first post, we are highlighting our founder and formulator Chelsa Davis with a fun Q&A. Take a moment to learn about the #AOGlow face behind our natural skincare brand!
Q: Tell us a little about yourself and your background! (where you’re from, family etc.?)
A: I was born in Kailua, Oahu, but grew up on Maui and the Big Island. I had my oldest son at the age of 19–becoming a young mother was one of my greatest and most rewarding experiences. I was eager to educate myself and become someone he could look up to.
Q: How did you start Ao Organics Hawaii?
A: Ao Organics started when I was pregnant with my third keiki. I have always been conscious about the ingredients in our food, but then began looking deeper into the household products we were using and the ingredients in them. One of the main products we were always using was sunscreen, but I couldn't believe all the toxic ingredients that were in them. That's when I started my research to find out what ingredients were safe while protecting our skin, and understand the toxic effects that these chemicals had on our bodies, plus our environment. I tried to search for locally sourced, trusted and organic sunscreens that would be safe for my family...there were none. That's when I decided to make it myself, and after a lot more research (trial and error of figuring out how to make it!) I finally found the consistency I loved. I shared the sunscreen with family and friends, who after using it shared how much they loved it. So many people told me they had no idea about the damage it was doing not just to our bodies, but to our coral reefs. That was when Ao Organics Hawaii was born! I wanted to 1) create products that were safe for our families and 2) educate people on the (toxic) ingredients that are in our everyday products and lives.
Q: How do you pronounce the name of your brand and what is the story behind it?
A: The correct pronunciation for ao is “ah-oh,” and in ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i, it translates to world, earth or realm. When I decided to start my business and create these natural products, everything I created was to be just that–from ao, from our earth. I wanted products safe for your skin, keiki, ohana, and of course, our ao.
Q: What are your top five favorite products?
A: Such a hard question, haha! I literally love and use every single product almost daily.
- Get Naked Makeup Remover; I will never remove my makeup with coconut oil again (haha)
- ‘Ōlena + Honey Foaming Cleanser; my skin has never been clearer since using this cleanser
- Ili Hydration Moisturizer; I have oily skin and never thought I needed a moisturizer, until I realized what my skin was missing! It was this moisturizer.
- Ili Alohi Serum because when hormonal acne shows up, this serum magically erases any scars or damage that was done.
- AO Tanning Oil for my golden glow!
Q: What is the mission of your brand?
A: My mission has always been to educate and empower others to know what kind of products they are using on their skin–not just the health impacts, but also the environmental impacts they may have on our ocean and land. We formulate high-quality skincare products with ethically sourced ingredients that will treat women’s skin issues and won’t break the bank while achieving healthy glowing skin.
Q: What is your favorite beach and what can we find in your beach bag?
A: My favorite beach is right next to my hometown, Waipio Valley. My must-haves in my beach bag are: Liquid Sunscreen, Golden Hour Tanning Oil, & a bottle of some After Sun Spray (perfect refresher when it starts to get really hot)
Q: Morning skincare routine?
A: My morning routine is simple and quick because my mornings are always busy with getting my kids ready for the day.
- I simply cleanse with ‘Olena + Honey Foaming Cleanser
- Tone my skin with the Hibiscus Facial Toner and apply Ili Hydration Moisturizer
- I can’t start my day without applying Awakening Eye Espresso Serum under my eyes to depuff and help lighten any dark circles.
Q: Nighttime skincare routine?
A: My evening routine is a little longer, but Ilove to think of it as my self care ritual where i get to unwind from the day and have some time for myself.
- I always start by removing any makeup (which is usually only mascara)–the Get Naked Makeup remover melts it away like a boss.
- Cleanse with ‘Olena + Honey Foaming Cleanser
- Tone with Hibiscus Facial Toner (preps skin for serums and moisturizer)
- Spot treat any scars with Ili Alohi Serum (allow it to soak in)
- Apply moisturizer, the Ili Hydration Moisturizer.
- Then time for my Lash Queen serum for my lashes and brows.
Q: More than ever, self care is so important. What are small ways that we can indulge in moments of self care?
A: It really is so, so important to find time for ourselves, to give a little more time and love that we so freely give to others. A small way I like to indulge in self care is to simply apply a face mask while getting ready to shower or even take a hot bubble bath with my Green Goddess Mask on!
The Ao Organics Hawai‘i ‘ohana